Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
The Great Bubble Barrier
How does a Bubble Barrier work?
Is The Great Bubble Barrier the solution to all the plastic soup in the world?
- Create awareness among manufacturers (of products, foodstuffs, etc.) to make sure that less plastic is used wherever possible. Manufacturers can choose other materials, or plastic types that are recyclable.
- Creating awareness among consumers to ensure that they choose products with less environmental impact, for recyclable plastics, and collecting and separating plastic waste.
- A well-designed system for processing plastic waste based on quality. Fortunately in the Netherlands we have a highly technical waste system..
- Preventing dumping of plastic waste in the sea (responsible for 20% of the plastic soup)
- Stopping the flow of plastic waste from inland via the rivers and canals to the sea (responsible for 80% of the plastic soup)
The Great Bubble Barrier is not the only solution to solve the plastic waste, as we focus primarily on plastic soup in rivers. In addition, The Great Bubble Barrier, along with organizations such as the Plastic Soup Foundation and ByTheOceanWeUnite, builds awareness among consumers, producers and governments alike. The remaining 20% of the plastic soup in our oceans is created on the ocean, and is thus out of reach of our Bubble Barriers. We gladly accept this gigantic task from The Ocean Cleanup. In politics and business, many steps can be taken to prevent plastic soup. The end responsibility for waste that ends up in the water is still a gray area in the Netherlands.
Is there a Bubble Barrier in use?
How is the plastic collected?
How much plastic does a Bubble Barrier remove?
During the tests in the IJssel we will look at how these results translate in a river. The results depend on different conditions, such as how long the underwater tubing is, or if it has recently rained, the type of plastic in the river and of course the location of the Bubble Barrier.
Does a Bubble Barrier also work against microplastics?
During the Berlin Bubble Barrier Pilot, the Bubble Barrier was able to catch plastic as small as 1 millimetre. It depends on the collection system whether the smaller plastics are able to be brought ashore. We will continue to develop our removal system following the pilot in the IJssel. The goal is to remove also remove microplastics from the water.
Are all types of plastic caught by the Bubble Barrier?
What is a Bubble Barrier made of?
Plastic Extraction & Use
What happens to the collected trash?
Furthermore, we will separate all the remaining waste for processing by the Kampen municipality.
How much energy does it cost to pump air?
What is this in relation to?
How did The Great Bubble Barrier come about?
I have suggestions and/or feedback, can I contact you?
Can I become a volunteer at The Great Bubble Barrier?
How can I do an internship, research placement or graduation project at The Great Bubble barrier?
At the moment, we are looking for students who can assist us in marketing communications. Please send us a message with our contact form.
Support, Funding & Donations
How can I donate?
Check out our funding page to see how you can contribute!